Apply Kanban Practices and Improve Flow in Professional Scrum
Professional Scrum™ with Kanban (PSK) is an interactive, activity-based training course that teaches experienced Scrum Masters and other Scrum practitioners how to improve the way they work by applying Kanban practices in the context of Professional Scrum. Through theory, case studies and hands-on exercises, students will learn how Kanban practices can help Scrum Teams achieve better outcomes by improving the flow of work. Organizations using DevOps, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) will find adding flow to their application of Scrum to be a natural complement.
The course also includes a free attempt at the globally recognized Professional Scrum with Kanban (PSK I) certification exam.
There is a myth that teams need to choose between using Scrum or Kanban. There are many benefits to optimizing the flow of work in Scrum by leveraging Kanban practices. In this 2 day* training course, students will learn the benefits of using Scrum and Kanban together.
Students will learn how to optimize their workflow by adding four Kanban practices to Scrum:
- Visualizing the Sprint Backlog workflow on a Kanban board
- Limiting Work in Progress (WIP)
- Actively managing work items in progress
- Continually inspecting and adapting the way the team uses flow optimization.
By leveraging these practices, teams improve transparency, collaboration and self-management, ultimately improving their ability to achieve Sprint Goals at a sustainable pace. In addition, this course has a focus on helping students track and manage flow metrics to provide more predictable delivery patterns, ultimately helping them to overcome common delivery challenges with getting to “Done”. Students will leave with a better understanding of what good Kanban looks like and how to implement it within a Professional Scrum environment.
Course Learning Objectives
After this course, PSK participants should be able to:
- Understand flow and Kanban practices from the perspective of the Scrum Team
- Explain how Kanban practices can be used to improve flow within a Sprint
- Increase transparency by helping the Scrum Team visualize their Workflow
- Use data to create a Scrum Team’s Service Level Expectation (SLE) for use in improving delivery predictability
- Apply the concept of flow and Kanban practices during Scrum Events
- Assist the team in overcoming common flow challenges by actively managing WIP
Who Should Attend
The Professional Scrum with Kanban course is designed for experienced Scrum Practitioners who have a good understanding of Professional Scrum and a desire to learn how to implement Kanban practices with their Scrum Teams. Ideally, attendees have read the Kanban Guide for Scrum Teams and have passed the Scrum Open assessment. The course is particularly beneficial for:
- Scrum Masters who want to learn how flow, flow metrics and other Kanban practices can help them and their Scrum Teams improve how they work in Scrum
- Professional Scrum Practitioners with a desire to improve their current practices and who are interested in learning how Kanban practices can help them and their teams improve
Professional Scrum with Kanban Certification
All participants completing the Professional Scrum with Kanban course will receive a password to attempt the Professional Scrum with Kanban I (PSK I) assessment. PSK class participants who attempt the PSK I assessment within 14 days of receiving their free password and do not score at least 85% will be granted a 2nd attempt at no additional cost.
- 2 Days